The First United States Flag
The First Official United States Flag: This 13-Star Flag became the Official United
States Flag on June14th, 1777 and is the result of the congressional
action that took place on that date. Much evidence exists pointing to Congressman
Francis Hopkinson as the person responsible for
its design.The only President to serve under this flag was
(1789-1797). This Flag was to last for a period of 18 years.
Each star and stripe represented a Colony of which there were thirteen, united
nearly one year earlier by the Declaration of Independence. The thirteen Colonies are listed
below with the date that each ratified the Constitution and became a State.
- (1st) Delaware December 7th, 1787
- (2nd) Pennsylvania December 12th,1787
- (3rd) New Jersey December18th, 1787
- (4th) Georgia January 2nd, 1788
- (5th) Connecticut January 9th, 1788
- (6th) Massachusetts February 6th, 1788
- (7th) Maryland April 28th, 1788
- (8th) South Carolina May 23rd, 1788
- (9th) New Hampshire June 21st, 1788
- (10th) Virginia June 25th, 1788
- (11th) New York July 25th, 1788
- (12th) North Carolina November 21st, 1789
- (13th) Rhode Island May 29th, 1790
page is maintained by Duane Streufert, Contact Us.
Questions or comments welcome!
This Site Established on 20 November
Last Updated 10 February 2005.Web Design and Development by Visionary Enterprises